All workers engaged to undertake asbestos work must be appropriately licensed and comply with all the relevant duties under the Work Health and Safety Act 2012 (SA) regardless of whether the work is done at a workplace or a home.
The type of removalist you engage depends on the type and quantity of asbestos to be removed:
Licensed Asbestos Removalist
Class A or Class B removal licence holders must comply with the following requirements for any work undertaken at workplaces or residential premises:
- notify SafeWork SA of asbestos removal 5 days prior to commencing work
- engage a licensed asbestos assessor to undertake air monitoring
- provide employees with information, training, personal protective clothing and equipment, and medical examinations
- ensure a supervisor oversees the removal work
- obtain the workplace's asbestos register (for workplaces)
- prepare an asbestos removal control plan before starting any work
- provide appropriate information to various parties, such as neighbours or businesses in the immediate vicinity
- use specific methods for removal, waste containment and waste disposal
- use signs and barricades
- provide decontamination facilities
- engage an independent person to undertake clearance inspections and issue a clearance certificate
- ensure all asbestos waste is disposed of safely and legally.
Once the licensed removal work is complete, a clearance inspection and a clearance certificate are required before the workplace can re-open.
See page 12 of the Code of Practice – How to safely remove asbestos for more detailed information on the duties for licensed asbestos removalist.
The Code of Practice requirements apply to duty holders including the licensed asbestos removalist, the person who commissioned the asbestos removal work and the person with management and control of the workplace.
Contractor, builder or tradie
Removal of asbestos by a contractor, builder or tradie who does not hold a Class A or Class B asbestos removal licence is permitted if the asbestos being removed is:
- 10m2 or less of non-friable asbestos (approximately the size of a bedroom wall)
- asbestos containing debris that is not more than a minor contamination and is associated with the removal of 10m2 or less of non-friable asbestos.
Any asbestos removal work undertaken by a contractor, builder or tradie must be in accordance with the Work Health and Safety Act 2012 (SA) and ensures appropriate risk management controls are taken to prevent exposure to airborne asbestos or any other hazards.
Workers carrying out asbestos removal work, including self-employed persons, must be trained in the identification and safe handling of asbestos prior to carrying out asbestos removal work without a licence. An asbestos awareness course or the non-friable removal unit of competency would be considered appropriate training.
Asbestos assessors are licensed by SafeWork SA for air monitoring and clearance inspections.
Clearance inspections and certificates
Asbestos assessors are required for clearance inspections for Class A removal work.
An independent competent person (with relevant training) can undertake clearance inspections for Class B removal work.
Clearance certificates should be issued for all licensed asbestos removal work as evidence that reoccupation is safe to occur. Clearance for reoccupation includes both a visual inspection and air monitoring results that are below 0.01 f/mL.
Find a licensed asbestos assessor or removalist
To assist you with finding a licensed asbestos assessor, licensed asbestos removalist or supervisor SafeWork SA publishes the following lists:
- Register of Class A - Asbestos Removal Licence Holders
- Register of Class B - Asbestos Removal Licence Holders
- List of Asbestos Assessors
SafeWork SA also holds a register of the name of each supervisor as notified to SafeWork SA in relation to an asbestos removal licence.
As the costs can vary significantly it is recommended that you contact a few assessors and removalists to obtain comprehensive quotes for work to be done, giving consideration to the requirements listed above.