A number of agencies have responsibility with regards to asbestos depending on the location and circumstance.
Asbestos in the home
Is the suspected asbestos in:
Are you the:
- It is your responsibility to arrange the removal of the asbestos materials. If it is under 10m2 you can remove it yourself if safe to do so, however it is recommended that you use a licensed asbestos removalist.
- Contact your rental agency/landlord. Further advice can be sought from the Residential Tenancies team at Consumer and Business Services on 131 882.
Tenant (South Australian Housing Trust)?
- Contact South Australian Housing Trust maintenance on 131 288.
- Discuss your concerns with the home owner. If the home owner does not resolve the issue and you still have concerns, contact your local council for advice.
- Discuss your concerns with your local council.
Home being renovated by contractor
- Contact SafeWork SA on 1300 365 255.
Asbestos in the workplace
Is the suspected asbestos in a:
Contact Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure's Asbestos Advisory Team on DPTI.TSAsbestosServices@sa.gov.au or (08) 8343 2642.
Contact SafeWork SA on 1300 365 255.
Contact the building owner (if known) or your local council.
Asbestos in the environment (illegal dumping)
Is the suspected asbestos on:
Contact the Environment Protection Authority on (08) 8204 2004 (metro) or Freecall 1800 623 445 (country areas).
Contact Forestry SA on (08) 8724 2888.
Contact SA's Department of Environment and Water on (08) 8204 1218.
Contact the Department of Transport, Planning and Infrastructure's Traffic Management Centre on 1800 018 313.
Contact the relevant local council.
If the fence is on your own property and is damaged or is to be removed contact a licensed asbestos removalist.
Fencing is administered by your local council. Read through the Fences and the Law booklet for information on the processes involved in removing an existing fence.
If the fence is on another property contact the owner or the relevant local council.
If a fence is in situ and not damaged, it is not a public health risk.
If you have concerns about health risks, contact your GP or SA Health on (08) 8226 6000.
The SafeWork SA Library is a free service available to business, government and the SA general public that specialises in work health and safety, including asbestos resource material.
The Library can be contacted on:
Telephone: 8204 8877 (9:00am - 5:00pm, Monday to Friday)