A number of agencies have responsibility with regards to asbestos depending on the location and circumstance.

Asbestos in the home

Is the suspected asbestos in:

  • Your home (owner or tenant)?

    Are you the:

    Home owner?

    Tenant (private)?

    Tenant (South Australian Housing Trust)?

    • Contact South Australian Housing Trust maintenance on 131 288.
  • Other residential property?

    Occupied house

    • Discuss your concerns with the home owner. If the home owner does not resolve the issue and you still have concerns, contact your local council for advice.

    Unoccupied house

    • Discuss your concerns with your local council.

    Home being renovated by contractor

    • Contact SafeWork SA on 1300 365 255.

Asbestos in the workplace

Is the suspected asbestos in a:

  • Government-owned building?

    Contact Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure's Asbestos Advisory Team on DPTI.TSAsbestosServices@sa.gov.au or (08) 8343 2642.

  • Occupied commercial building?

    Contact SafeWork SA on 1300 365 255.

  • Unoccupied commercial building?

    Contact the building owner (if known) or your local council.

Asbestos in the environment (illegal dumping)

Is the suspected asbestos on:

  • Council land (local parks, beaches and suburban streets)?

    Contact the relevant local council.


If the fence is on your own property and is damaged or is to be removed contact a licensed asbestos removalist.

Fencing is administered by your local council. Read through the Fences and the Law booklet for information on the processes involved in removing an existing fence.

If the fence is on another property contact the owner or the relevant local council.

If a fence is in situ and not damaged, it is not a public health risk.

Health risks

If you have concerns about health risks, contact your GP or SA Health on (08) 8226 6000.

Asbestos resources

The SafeWork SA Library is a free service available to business, government and the SA general public that specialises in work health and safety, including asbestos resource material.

The Library can be contacted on:

Email: resources.safework@sa.gov.au

Telephone: 8204 8877 (9:00am - 5:00pm, Monday to Friday)